In the Stillness

A few months ago I met with one of the most intentional people I know for lunch and she asked what I was learning from God. Although this thought always strikes me with anxiety as there are normally so many things I want to share, I was caught off guard and honestly didn't know what to say. I knew God was teaching me to just put one foot in front of the other in order to walk in obedience with Him, but I guess I couldn't think of those words in that moment. She shared in my time of silence "it's okay, sometimes God is teaching us to just sit still." Wow, that hit me more than I would like to admit. There are so many times when I catch myself so busy and on the go, just to get to the next thing that I don't actually take the time to be okay with sitting still.

However, this past month, so many of the times where I've felt the presence of God the most have been during the times where I've intentionally been okay with sitting still and listening for His voice and seeking His presence. Some of these moments during this month have been...

-God reassuring me so many nights that He really is good amidst not always feeling so
-A restful week in Florida with some of my best friends
-The song "Good Grace" by Hillsong - if you haven't heard it, you should check it out!
-reading the book It's Not Supposed To Be This Way by Lysa Terkeurst
-A poem that was sent to me by one of my best friends from home
-The comfort of the verse, Isaiah 43:2
-A meeting with a professor that ended up helping me process my season of wrestling with God the past few months
-Several reminders that my friendships will last more than the hard days and trials that they endure
-A late night spent laughing with the Linder's
-A weekend spent with Bailey staying with me and God preparing me for my senior year at IWU
-A mentor reminding me that I am beautiful (which I also wrote a blog post about)
-Sweet texts from my Grandma
-Sitting with Ethan Linder in College Wesleyan Church's atrium processing through so many life changes in this season
-Someone sending me this quote that said it made them think of me "Legacy is planting seeds in a garden you never get to see."
-Mentors meeting me come over at the drop of a text in order to sit, cry, process, or eat brownies and eggs
-Being able to cook a meal for a group of beloved friends that I do ministry with and getting a little glimpse into what I hope my future is

Friends, I encourage you that amidst the hustle and bustle of every day life, make time for stillness. Make time to hear the whisper of God amidst the loud voices that are trying to distract us from the truths that He wants to remind us of.

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. Isaiah 43:2


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Hope You Find Your Alyssa

Confidence