Things I'm Not Good At

things I'm not good at: seeing God in the mundane
things God is teaching me: finding Him in the mundane

At the beginning of the summer I started a ministry job that was a lot of repeat tasks. Although not every day was the same and every week varied, I did a lot of the same things over and over again. While some people enjoy this, I do not. I like routine, in the way of I know what I'm doing at a certain time, but not in the way of continually doing the same thing. This job was the exact opposite. I rarely knew what I would be doing at a certain time and I did a lot of the same things day after day and sometimes even week after week, depending on the camp. This left me feeling like I was living in the mundane a lot of the time.

Now that I've moved home (for two weeks), life has also become sort of mundane. I rarely have anywhere to be on a certain day besides what I want to do for myself. I no longer have homework that needs done. I don't have an alarm set, for the first time in many, many months. (praise the Lord!!)   Although some may like the freedom of this, it feels rather mundane to me. I've realized that this shows a lot about the way I like to live and another thing that I'm not very good at, slowing down or hitting the pause button.

So what is the mundane and how does one find God in it?

The dictionary defines "mundane," as the following:
mundane: 
1. lacking interest or excitement, dull
2. of this earthly world rather than a heavenly or spiritual one.

If you would've asked me a few months ago how to find God in the mundane, you would've stopped me in my tracks and I probably wouldn't sat for a few moments in silence and then told you, "I don't know." The reason being, I didn't ever seek to see God in the mundane.

This summer God has been teaching me how to find Him in the mundane. Over the past few months, I've seen Him place certain people on my path that by the end of the conversation I knew that it was a "God moment." I've seen His grace and love through several dear friends who taught me that I need to stop being "sorry," for who I am. I've seen God renew me and give me rest in a season when I least expected it. I've seen Him in how Marion has truly become like home to me and the way He's put friends in my life who have become more like family.

Since being home, I've seen God even more so in the little things. I feel His presence when I take our dog out and I see the sun setting with a mixture of beautiful colors. I see Him working in me when I'm the first one to say I'm sorry in an argument. I find God in my brother's selfless heart that is always is looking for ways to serve others. I see Him in the redemption that has occurred in several of my friendships and relationships with others. He is there in the way He provides the simplest things for us, in the way He heals the wounds that we've carried for way too long, in the way He gives us an indescribable peace amidst anxiety-producing situations. He is there, we must just seek Him.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Hope You Find Your Alyssa

Confidence